Technical and Professional Education Support in Mozambique, 2015-2018
Sector: Education, Training and Culture
Partners: Camões, I.P., Ministry of Science and Technology, High Education and Professional Training, the Portugal Africa Foundation; Ministry of Education and Higher Education; Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation
Budget/duration: EUR 2.5 million/48 months
Aim of Intervention
To consolidate and expand the area of basic professional education (8th to 10th years) in the ten Mozambique’s provinces by improving the quality of education at professional schools and adapting the programmes and educational curricula to the needs of the local business environment in order to provide skilled labour.
The project is operating in a variety of ways, most notably:
- The development of central, provincial and regional structures belonging to the Ministry of Science and Technology, High Education and Professional Training (MCTESP) in order to local support business schools,
- The creation of at least one professional school per province,
- The training of 80 Mozambican teachers at Portuguese professional schools,
- The technical and educational improvement of directors and teachers,
- The production of the Teacher's Handbook for Professional Schools in Mozambique.
Among other achievements, 48 business schools are already operating, having trained more than 900 teaching professionals, including school teachers and directors, with over 60,000 students having graduated due to this project.