What does being a lecturer at Camões, I.P. involve?

Being a lecturer at Camões, I.P. basically consists of teaching Portuguese at universities abroad, as a second language (in countries adopting Portuguese as the Official Language) or as a foreign language. In addition to teaching functions, Camões, I.P. lecturers also promote Portuguese culture at universities and/or communities where they work.

In countries where Portuguese is statuted as a second language, i.e. countries included in the Community of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLP), lecturers also work as trainers, as they are generally working in higher education institutions training teachers of Portuguese, and in this case the Camões, I.P. lecturers provide training for trainers.

The first Camões, I.P. lectureships arose in the 1920's. The term "lecturer" came to be used to designate a teacher of language and culture of their country at a foreign university, which is the lowest category in the academic career, corresponding currently to the assistant category. For this reason, lecturers are now equivalent in terms of remuneration to the university assistant category, where a contract is signed with Camões, I.P. in having no link to any other public institution.

Given that, the word "lecturer", as used in this text, has nothing to do with the literal denomination of "lecturer", although this ambiguity often arises. 

What training is necessary to be a lecturer?

The requirements for selection of lecturers of Portuguese language and culture are given in the application regulations, published when openings are announced.

In general, the requirements are maintained from year to year. In this sense, all Portuguese citizens holding a degree in the areas of Modern Languages and Literature - Variant of Portuguese Studies, or Portuguese Studies in combination with another Modern Language (Portuguese/French; Portuguese/English; Portuguese/Spanish; Portuguese/German; etc.), Classical Languages and Literature and Linguistics have automatic admission. Candidates with a Master's degree in Teaching Portuguese as a Second and Foreign Language.    

How can I apply to be a lecturer?

Application is by the annual competition procedure for constitution of the recruitment reserve of teaching personnel to the Teaching Portuguese Abroad Network. Attention should be paid to the time deadlines of opening this competition in the Camões, I.P. website.

What kind of verification is required for the competition for Camões, I.P. lecturers?

Camões, I.P. lecturers essentially teach Portuguese language and culture at foreign universities and international institutions. For more information see the page: Frequently Asked Questions (Portuguese). 

What is the application period for the lecturers competition?

Application is by the annual competition procedure for constitution of the recruitment reserve of teaching personnel to the Teaching Portuguese Abroad Network. Attention should be paid to the time deadlines of opening this competition in the Camões, I.P. web site. 

I am not Portuguese. Where can I learn Portuguese in Portugal?

Camões, I.P. only promotes and publicises Portuguese Language and Culture abroad. Camões, I.P. assures training in PFL through its e-learning platform, regularly opening groups of various levels of learning.

Foreigners wishing to learn Portuguese in Portugal should look for courses of Portuguese as a Foreign Language offered by universities, schools or private institutes.

A few secondary schools in the public education system, as well as some of the facilities of Instituto de Emprego e Formação Profissional (IEFP), also provide courses of Portuguese as a Foreign Language, usually during evenings, with the Português Para Todos (Portuguese for All) programme.  

I am a Primary/Secondary Teacher. How can I apply to teach abroad?

For teaching posts in the Portuguese Teaching Abroad Network covering the pre-school, primary (1st, 2nd and 3rd cycles) and secondary education levels, application is by the annual competition procedure for constitution of the recruitment reserve of teaching personnel. Attention should be paid to the time deadlines of opening this competition to the Camões, I.P. website.

What do I need to go and study in Portugal?

It is most important to gather information about the relevant documents you will need. Please contact the Portuguese Embassy in your country of origin, (https://www.portaldascomunidades.mne.pt/pt/) or the nearest Portuguese Consulate. 

In most cases, non-Portuguese nationals to study in Portugal will need a student visa that can be renewed annualy. This visa can be obtained at a diplomatic mission or at a Portuguese consular office in the country of origin.

These documents will include passport, photographs, criminal records, academic certificates and a statement of enrolment. Documents may vary according to each country of origin. 

For more information about studying in Portugal:






How can I obtain certification of my knowledge of Portuguese?

Portuguese as Heritage Language (PLH)

Students in the Teaching Portuguese Abroad Network (EPE) can have their knowledge of the Portuguese language accredited by the Portuguese state, by the means of an application either submitted by their teacher or by the students themselves.  

This certification is a joint responsibility of the Ministry of Education and Science (with the Directorate-General for Education) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (with Camões, I.P.)

Students will be required to sit an exam according their proficiency level (with 5 different levels/exams) and the certification will take place when students reach the profiency profile as defined in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and the Quadro de Referência para o Ensino Português no Estrangeiro (QuaREPE).

The exam consists of an assessment of the student's oral capacity, reading and writing using the Portuguese language .  

Certification exams take place at local centres in each country, determined by the number of applicants and available logistical resources. 

The final list detailing these centres is usually published every year in April and made available by teachers, co-ordination teaching units and at the Camões, I.P. website. 

Click here for further information on this certification process. 

Portuguese as a Foreign Language (PFL)

Certification for Portuguese as a Foreign Language (PFL) for adults is usually performed by the Centro de Avaliação de Português Língua Estrangeira (CAPLE) and issues the following five diplomas and certificates, each one corresposponding to a different proficiency level: 

CIPLE - Certificado Inicial de Português Língua Estrangeira

DEPLE - Diploma Elementar de Português Língua Estrangeira

DIPLE - Diploma Intermédio de Português Língua Estrangeira

DAPLE - Diploma Avançado de Português Língua Estrangeira

DUPLE - Diploma Universitário de Português Língua Estrangeira

For more information please visit CAPLE's website: http://caple.letras.ulisboa.pt/

Does working as a lecturer count as time of teaching service?

The work carried out as an official Camões, I.P. lecturer designated for a teaching position is aknowledged as time of teaching service, just like the teaching service in any school of the Ministry of Education. Each year abroad counts as one year in Portugal.