Funding for the translation and publication abroad
Seeking to implement the Protocol of Co-operation signed between Camões, Institute for Cooperation and Language, I.P (Camões, I.P.) and the General Directorate for Books, Archives and Libraries, (DGLAB), which sets up a partnership to promote their shared purpose of promoting of Portuguese literature abroad, as defined in Council of Ministers’ Resolution No. 70/2016, of the 22nd of November, both institutions have created a Funding Programme to support the translation and the publication abroad. The Rules for applying are available in Portuguese, English, Spanish, French and Chinese.
The Funding Programme is created to promote the translation and the publication abroad of works written in Portuguese by Portuguese authors or by authors from the Portuguese-speaking African countries (Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, São Tomé and Príncipe) and from East Timor. Grants are given to the publishers - paying a part of the translation and/or the publication costs - and also directly to the translators.
The direct beneficiaries of this Funding are all the publishing houses who commit to publishing and distributing, on an international level, works by the formerly mentioned eligible authors.
Furthermore, this Funding Programme also establishes that a special support will be given to works included in the list of Reference Books from Portuguese Literature, established by a Technical Committee formed by representatives from DGLAB and Camões I.P. and from the Portuguese Association of Writers (Associação Portuguesa de Escritores) and from the Lusitanistas’ Association (Associação Internacional de Lusitanistas). In these cases, the publisher can also expect the purchase of some copies.
Information on submissions
In 2020, exceptionally, the deadline for submitting applications is the 17th of August 2020 (in the following years the deadline will always be the 31st of March)
Applications include the following:
- The application form - Portuguese and English versions available
- The copyright agreement
- The translation contract
- The translator’s CV
- After submitting their applications, publishers will receive a confirmation message;
- Translation and publication costs are partially funded;
- The financial support is paid separately by Camões, I.P. and DGLAB to the publisher by the end of December of the year of the application;
- The publisher shall be requested to sign an Agreement with the funding bodies concerning the financial support to be given;
- Applications received after the deadline are excluded;
- All documentation must be submitted with the application form;
- Camões, I.P. and DGLAB may ask the publisher to send the original documents;
- Camões, I.P. and DGLAB must be immediately informed in the event of any change regarding the application
- The publisher is asked to acknowledge the financial support by printing the following inscription along with the logos: Funded by THE GENERAL DIREACTORATE FOR BOOKS, ARCHIVES AND LIBRARIES/DGLAB AND CAMÕES, INSTITUTO DA COOPERAÇÃO E DA LÍNGUA I.P. /CAMÕES I.P. – PORTUGAL
- Send five copies of the translated work to the funding bodies
- The unjustified failure to comply with the obligations arising from the Rules and from the Agreement that has been signed implies the cancellation of the subsidy that was granted and the restitution of the amounts received. The Publisher may further be barred for a period of three years from submitting applications for the same Funding.
- Both DGLAB and Camões, IP will announce the results on their websites