Application Opening Notice and Instructions
The Camões - Instituto da Cooperação e da Língua I. P., hereinafter referred as Camões, I.P., informs that it is now taking place the period for submitting applications to the Program of Scholarships to be awarded by the Camões, I.P., in accordance with paragraph 1 of art. 17 of the Rules for the Program of Scholarships, approved by order 1251/2011 of January 14th.
This notice does not preclude from consulting the Rules for the Program of Scholarships to be awarded by Camões, I.P.
I - Rules governing the formalization of the application
Note: all applications to the scholarship program of the Camões, I.P, requires the register of the applicant and consequent validation on the electronic platform available here (linking to “Balcão Único – Serviços Online”)
1. The application to the scholarship program of the Camões, I.P, shall take place in two stages:
1st stage (Pre-application) – filling in the scholarship program form available on the website “Balcão Único - Serviços Online”;
2nd stage (Application) – Applicants selected in the first stage will be asked to present, via e-mail, the required documentation, via “Balcão Único – Serviços Online” for analysis and substantiation of the jury’s decision.
II - General and specific requirements for admission to the procedure
- The scholarships awarded under the scholarship Program for attendance of Summer Courses in Portuguese Language and Culture 2017, taught in Portuguese universities or other institutions recognized by the Camões, I.P., are intended for students, both foreign and Portuguese, residing abroad and wishing to improve their linguistic competence. Applications must be proposed by the respective teachers of Portuguese language, in the context of protocols of cooperation signed with the Camões, I.P. in which the number of scholarships available is specifically accounted for.
- The scholarships awarded under the Program for attendance of Annual Courses in Portuguese Language and Culture 2017/2018, taught in Portuguese universities or institutions recognized by the Camões, I.P. are intended for students, both foreign and Portuguese, residing abroad and wishing to improve their linguistic competence.
- The scholarships awarded under the Program Fernão Mendes Pinto 2017/2018 are aimed at graduates or undergraduate students, in their final year, both foreign and Portuguese, who are involved in projects of scientific or professional training in the field of Portuguese as a foreign language, through the Centres of Portuguese Language, Lectureships of the Camões, I.P. in universities abroad and universities and institutions abroad with agreements with the Camões, I.P.
- The scholarships awarded under the Research Program 2017/2018, are intended for teachers and researchers, both Portuguese and foreign, residing abroad, and who intend to undertake, in Portugal, specialized studies in the field of Portuguese language and culture, namely masters and doctorates in universities in Portugal.
- The scholarships awarded under the Program Pessoa 2017/2018 are intended for holders of Chairs in Portuguese Studies and of Departments of Portuguese in universities or institutes of research abroad, for the execution of projects for training and research in the fields of Portuguese language and culture.
- The scholarships awarded, under the Program Vieira 2017/2018 are intended for graduates, both Portuguese and foreign, residing abroad and involved in projects of training and/or improvement in the fields of translation and conference interpretation.
III - Deadlines and presentation of the competition procedure
- The deadline for the two stages of formal applications to the program of scholarships is the following one:
1.1. 1st stage (Pre-application) takes place between May 10th and 20th 2017;
1.2. the results will be communicated until May 29th 2017, upon publication, in the website of Camões, I.P., of the pre-selected applicants list.
1.3. 2nd stage (Application) the deadline for sending the documents takes place between May 29th and June 09th 2017;
1.4. the disclosure of final results and publication of the respective lists will be made until 16th June 2017, in the website of Camões, I.P.;
1.5. the disclosure of the approved list of the selected applicants will be made until June 19th 2017.
2. The selected candidates shall be notified, preferably, of the admission and selection procedures by electronic means, with notification delivery receipt.
IV - Documentation
- For all scholarship programs, applicants must submit, within the established deadline of the 2nd stage (Application), the following documents, scanned in pdf format:
1.1. document confirming academic qualifications;
1.2. document issued by two persons of recognized competence, preferably university teachers, attesting to their qualities and suitability to the goals of the program in question, and justifying the opportunity for attendance of the course;
1.3. two photographs;
1.4. self-declaration regarding the reasons for the application and to what extent he/she considers that the study in Portugal will contribute, in the future, to his/her vocational route and to the diffusion of the Portuguese language and culture in his/her native country (at least, 400 characters);
1.5. in the cases of applications originating from countries where there are Lecturers or Trainers of the Camões, I.P., their respective opinion;
1.6. document attesting to the fulfilment of obligations regarding contributions to social security in Portugal or, as the case may be, in the State in which they reside;
1.7. document attesting to the fulfilment of obligations regarding taxes due in Portugal or, as the case may be, in the State in which they reside;
2. In the cases where the documents referred to in 1.6 and 1.7 do not exist in the State where the candidates reside, a declaration on word of honor must be submitted stating that the documents aforementioned are not issued in that State and that their tax and social security situation is in order, in cases where it applies.
3. For the Programs of Research Scholarship, Program Pessoa and Program Vieira, in addition to the documents referred to in paragraph 1, the candidates must submit, within the time prescribed, a structured work plan, clearly indicating the objectives and completion time (at least, 1.500 characters).
4. All documentation shall be, if possible, presented in Portuguese language.
V - Entity to whom the documents shall be submitted
- All documents are submitted directly to Camões, I.P, by “Balcão Único – Serviços Online”
VI - Grounds for exclusion from the procedure
- Are excluded from the application procedure the candidates that:
1.1. Submit the documents referred to in Section IV of this notice incomplete;
1.2. Submit the documents through any other means than those referred to in paragraph 1 of the Section V of this notice;
1.3. Fill in improperly the 1st stage (Pre-Application) form.
VII - Evaluation and Selection
- The jury for the evaluation of applications is composed of the following members:
- President: Vera Palma
- First Voting member: Ana Laires
- Second Voting member: Alda Ribeiro
- First Alternate: Carla Sousa
- Second Alternate: Toríbia Cancela
2. The applications will be analyzed having regard to the bi-lateral co-operation agreements signed by the Camões, I.P., with foreign countries and institutions, training projects in the area of Portuguese language and culture Camões, I.P., with other Portuguese and foreign institutions, the implementation in the geographical areas for priority action of the Camões, I.P., and the specific programs for the promotion of teaching Portuguese abroad, as a foreign language and as a second language.
VIII - Disclosure of the results
- The final results are available in the list produced by the jury and are disclosed in the web page of Camões, I.P., within 30 business days beginning from the deadline for applications.
- The results are communicated to the candidates for the purposes of holding a hearing of the concerned parties under the Administrative Procedure Code.
- After the evaluation of the allegations, the jury elaborates the final list of order of the candidates, which is submitted to judgment approving of the Camões, I.P. President.
- The notification of the acts referred to in paragraph 1 and 2 is carried out preferably by email with notification delivery receipt.
- The definitive results are published on the web page of the Camões, I.P.
IX - Duration of the scholarships
- The scholarships have the following duration:
1.1. Program of Annual Course of Portuguese Language and Culture - 8 months, non-renewable;
1.2. Program of Summer Course of Portuguese Language and Culture - 1 month, non-renewable;
1.3. Program Vieira and Program Pessoa - variable, may be renewed;
1.4. Research Program, Program Fernão Mendes Pinto - until a maximum of 12 months, may be renewed.
X - Amounts and forms of payment
- The monthly amount of the scholarships is the following:
1.1. Research Program Vieira, Fernão Mendes Pinto and Summer Course of Portuguese Language and Culture – 500,00€:
1.2. Annual Course Program of Portuguese Language and Culture – 450,00 €;
1.3. Program Pessoa – 650,00€.
2. The payments shall be made through bank transfer, and the scholarship holder shall communicate his account identification number to the Camões, I.P..
X - Other Information
1. Universities and Courses
In Portugal there are several educational institutions that provide Portuguese language learning courses in Portugal for foreign citizens who study or work in Portugal. For further information access the following link: http://www.instituto-camoes.pt/activity/o-que-fazemos/aprender-portugues/em-portugal
The scholarship holder is responsible for obtaining the passport, visa and other legal formalities.
The financial costs of travel and accommodation are the responsibility of the scholarship holder.
Regarding accommodation, we leave some suggestions as it is handled directly by the scholarship holder:
Number of Scholarships to concede in 2017/2018 in this Opening Notice