CAMPO – Country of Origin Migrant Support Centre
or “Strengthening the capacity of Cape Verde to manage labour and return migration within the Framework of the Mobility Partnership EU/CV”
DAC Sector: Government and civil society
To promote lawful movement between Cape Verde and the EU by improving the sector of migration and development to combat illegal flows of migration.
Millennium Development Goals
- Goal 1 – Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- IPAD – Instituto Português de Apoio ao Desenvolvimento;
- ACIDI – Alto Comissariado para a Imigração e Diálogo Intercultural, I.P.;
- AECID/MAEC – Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo/Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores Y de Cooperación;
- IC – Instituto das Comunidades de Cabo Verde;
- IEFP – Instituto de Emprego e Formação Profissional de Cabo Verde;
- OIM – Organização Internacional para as Migrações - Missão em Portugal.
- IPAD – Instituto Português de Apoio ao Desenvolvimento
This project came about through the mobility partnership negotiations with Cape Verde, involving funding from the European Commission, Portuguese and Spanish co-operation . It ran from 2009-2011 and it was implemented by IPAD.
One of the main results of this project was the creation of a welcome centre for migrants and people from Cape Verde wishing to leave their country for reasons of study or work, whether they were Cape Verdeans looking to invest or return to their country of origin either permanently or as part of short-term missions.
At the end of the project, the management of the centre and all its facilities was handed over to the Cape Verde public administration. The local authorities have recognised the importance of this project, in particular the work done in the increasing the confidence of Cape Verde’s institutions, and decided to integrate it with CAMPO, the Ministry of Communities, thus confirming the project’s intended appropriation and sustainability.